Friday, October 24, 2008

Words Seldom Said, Ep. 1.

I was thinking the other day about words in Christianity that are super important but rarely talked about - especially in churches. For instance,

  • Covenant - The entirety of the Old Testament is grounded in the idea that our God is a covenant keeping God. He chose Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob as his people, making covenants with them to secure their relationship. It is his covenant that kept him from completely wiping out Israel many times. It is his covenant that eventually provided for the coming of Jesus to bring his people to him permanently.

  • Context - One of the first words I learned in my Bible classes was context. Without an understanding of the historical and literary context of scripture, we'll never be able to responsibly interpret it.
That's all I had when I originally wrote this a few weeks ago. As I think of more, I'll post them.

Anyone have any others?

No comments: