Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Creation Year: May

Continuing my attempt at logging my attempt at Creation Year...  May and June have been a little hectic.  Again, unfortunately, no fully completed projects, but lots of good momentum.

The biggest decision I've made the last few months has been that I would not only attempt to put my Seasons project into an art gallery, but to tackle ArtPrize.

For those of you who won't click on that link, ArtPrize is a massive art competition located in Grand Rapids, Michigan.   There are rounds of audience voting and a jury prize.  Overall, somewhere around $800,000 is given away in prize money.  While I don't expect to get any of that prize cash, ArtPrize is a massive community event.  Last year, I think we had something like an extra 500,000 people in the city or something.  Go big or go home, right?

Artists partner with local businesses that host their work.  Much of the city is turned into an art gallery, from bars and restaurants to real estate offices, museums, and churches.    So I set about trying to convince people to take a risk on an uncompleted project in a relatively little understood medium by an unproven artist.  I was beyond excited when the B.O.B., a local venue with multiple restaurants, nightclubs, and bars inside, accepted me as one of their artists this year.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-g1mhBZy68Oc/T4zXBPMg4pI/AAAAAAANR3o/JdC3TJDwNvY/w600-h384-no/J+Bar+at+The+B.O.B.
The B.O.B.


This is pretty exciting news and let me tell you why: the B.O.B. has the highest foot traffic of pretty much any venue in the city.  People are there almost all day every day, both for ArtPrize events or just to enjoy the venue itself.  So my little arcade machine with my artsy little game will be playable by thousands of people over the span of three weeks.  Agh!

So May was spent setting up ArtPrize connections and continuing to plug away at Seasons.  Spring is completed (or, at least, ready to be put on the shelf until the rest are done).  Summer is underway.  And I have two and a half months to pull off.

Deep breaths.

No comments: