Thursday, May 15, 2008

God is really heavy.

So I'm reading Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell. It's been on my reading list for a full year and I've finally gotten to it. It's like Rob Bell's basic theology book.

Here's a thought that's getting to me.

In Movement (chapter) 3, he talks a bit about missions. So often, when we talk about missions, we say that we are "bringing Jesus to" China or Africa or Chicago or the film industry.

But Bell reminds his readers that God is, in fact, everywhere. There is no place that he is not present. It is the awareness of his presence that changes from place to place and person to person.

The duty of the missionary then, is not to force Jesus onto a people, but to show them where he is already active and moving. What are the true things that are happening in the place? Are people laughing? Are there crops growing? Is there, in a word, goodness? If so, then God is there. He must merely be seen more clearly. He must be named. Just as Paul does at the Areopagus (a way cooler name than Mars Hill, in my opinion...), we can point to things already around us (like poets, philosophers, prophets) and say that they have it somewhat right. But there is a higher reality. It all comes from the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob - the God who revealed himself through Jesus the Messiah and the Bible.

So, Bell suggests, a missionary is perhaps better called a tour guide - one who can see God in the everyday. Someone who can see the Lord working in the most unlikely places.

In my own life, I am finally at a place where I am not surrounded by Christians - my job. It's not as hostile of an environment as I expect in the game industry, but I do not see people coming to work with their Bibles... How do I show them Jesus? How do I make disciples?

The suggestion that our job as "missionaries" (or evangelists or Jesus-networkers [I just made that one up]) is merely to see God already at work, point to it, and call it out appeals to me.

But it is a challenge. A change in how I look at the world. Sadly, even as a believer, I don't have the eyes to see God's movement in any but the most obvious and powerful places.

But Rob Bell might be right. If we see ourselves carrying God from one place (Cornerstone/my life/my church) to another (my job/my career/the streets/the bar down the road), we will undoubtably get exhausted.

God is really heavy.

6 comments:

Melissa said...

#1. I'm glad you're reading that book.

#2. I'm watching this thing my mom taped called "The Lord's Boot Camp" and it kind of makes me want to throw up. It's missionary "training" and then follows them after this boot camp thing. Oh, documentaries...

Crystal Kitten said...

sweet kemp:

i just read that chapter the other day! i'm reading too... except it's my third time, i think. GREAT entry. i loved the idea too. and, uh, i think that struggle about seeing not seeing God in the ordinary places has something to do with developing your worldview. Either you completely missed that part of Cornerstone (nearly impossible), or they drilled it into you so far that it went out the other end. never fear, my friend. you still have another year!

ps: "Divine Nobodies" by Jim Palmer - great book for finding God in everyday, ordinary life. add it to your list. you can borrow it from me. :)

Maverick said...

I'm trying to imagine you in a bar.

Anonymous said...

I've read Velvet Elvis, but don't remember much about it. I may pick it up again as I seem to be more open to these thoughts in my life right now.

The idea that God is in everything, THAT I feel is truth. Beyond that I start questioning things pretty hardcore. I agree with the idea of recognizing, and sharing "goodness" and therefore sharing God.

What I don't agree with is that sharing God in this sense is the same as sharing Jesus, because along with Jesus comes the whole Christian church and faith.

Sharing God, sharing the goodness in the world, that's easy. How wonderful that he made it so easy for us.

Sharing the Church, and Jesus... that's what's heavy.

How interesting that the idea of "church" that Man created is so hard when the simplicity of goodness=God is so easy. I'm going the God route for now because in my opinion, we did something wrong with the Church part.

Anonymous said...

Interesting...

Which movie theater are you at anyway?

~*~ Rad

Jennifer said...

Look at that, you mention Rob Bell and you get lots of comments :)