Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ways to be creative.





Like many of you, I spend a good chunk of my week on the internet. Sometime this last week, I saw this:

I thought it was rather inspiring, so I started making my own list:



It's a bit of a small picture, but that's it so far. Here it is, if you can't read it:
  1. Read. (If I'm not reading, I start losing influences and new ideas.)
  2. Cultivate and pay attention to passion and fun. (I'm actually sort of bad at this.)
  3. Listen to music intentionally. (I get story ideas from music. I'm weird.)
  4. Write 250 words a day. Anywhere. (Journal/blog/script/concept/D&D planning)
  5. Be impulsive. (I tend to have a better attitude when I let myself be impulsive.)
  6. Be bored. (If I keep my brain occupied, I don't entertain myself with coming up with stuff.)
  7. (I plan to add more to the list.)
What's your list?

1 comment:

Scot said...

Brilliant idea o'chap! So I decided to come up with my own list on the spot here is what I have so far:

1. Know the Truth: C.S. Lewis stated that true originality is merely communicating the Truth and doing it well. Otherwise there is nothing new under the sun. So on a practical level this means, studying
1.A. Study the Bible: Currently finding a lot of inspiration in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes
1.B. Study History: I've been reading the Federalist Papers for the past month and a half now and still have 36 percent to go (I'm reading it on the kindle), but I am undaunted!
1.C. Study Mythology: These are the stories that people have told about the big issues of life since time began. They are an invaluable asset when looking at worldviews.
1.D. Study Current Culture: Lately I've been trying to keep up with the video game industry because I see a lot of cultural influence coming out of that sector.

2. Talk to people: Nothing can substitute going out and meeting someone face to face for a good heart to heart. To often artist close themselves in a room working for years on their "Master Piece" only to lose perspective.

3. Do Due Diligence in Doodling: I like to draw but get bogged down in the details when it comes to composing a finished work. If something isn't working in the doodle phase it's not going to work no matter how much time you spend on the details.

4. Start and finish projects: I find it very helpful to see something I've produced, even if it is a doodle. The battle to stay creative is emotional not logical. I personally need that small success to keep working on larger projects.

5. Have a Purpose for everything: Sometimes I don't know what to draw or work on. Then I'll remember a story outline that I made up so I will draw a character from story. I never run out of subjects then.

6. Find Honest and Interested Feedback: Perhaps one of the hardest things on this list. But nothing inspires me more than someone saying "The whole composition is flawed and here is what you need to do to get back on track." Because what I really hear is, "This is your current level, and I know that you can be better, and here's how."

7. Balance Mental exercise with physical: Most of my more enduring ideas have come while doing yard work or going for a run. I haven't been able to run regularly recently, so I picked up stretching which nearly serves the same purpose.

Well, that may be TMI, but it was useful to me if no one else to get that written down. Thanks!