Friday, January 05, 2007

I have no idea where this is going, so bear with me.

I feel it is time for an update. I don't, however, have any idea what to write about...

Next weekend, I'm going to the symphony! Yay! I didn't get the chance to go at all last semester, so I'm really excited about hearing some live music. They're performing something by Gershwin and something by Rachmaninoff, both of which Mike Coon is very excited about, so I am too. I heard a bit of the Rachmaninoff and asked him to turn it off, just so it could hit me for the first time live. I'm hoping my brain will start working again.

One of the funny things about life is that since I decided to pursue game design, my design brain hasn't really been working. I think the reason might be because I had to do a complete video game pitch in about three days... It certainly wasn't the quality that I would have liked it to be (although I still got a 95) and much will change when I revisit the story (I worked on that story almost exclusively in my Creative Writing class my junior year. I'd forgotten much of what I'd written.)

One of the things that pleasantly surprised me when I went home was rediscovering my old Creative Writing notebook. Believe it or not, it doesn't suck all that bad. Usually when you go back to look at your old written stuff, you think it's fully crap. The idea may still be good, but the writing is terrible. Now, either I was looking straight past the writing to the idea (which I normall don't), or the writing really wasn't that terrible... I thought that was a really neat.

Oh, and I stumbled across an idea I don't even remember, which is also weird. There's another problem, but it takes some explanation.

When I write, I write as if I'm already there with the character. Usually, this involves no small number of preunderstandings. There are people to know, history to understand, and general world information that just sits in my brain as I write. Usually, I make notes in the margin or make the necessary preunderstandings plain in my writing, but with this page or so of stuff, I didn't. I have very little idea what's going on... I vaguely remember something about dealing with church corruption by using a character in the church, but I don't quite remember why the church is corrupt or how he discovers it, etc... Oh well.

I need to go to bed. I think I shall. This is enough writing for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

And Coon is right, you will love it. It will be great and bring that paper and pen and think your little heart out. I trust that your brain will begin working soon.

Have a good day... see you in about 8 hours.

C

Anonymous said...

Yeah... the first couple of versions of my Escaflowne story sucked...

Do you ever get the muses biting when you should be doing other things? I get the best thoughts when I'm in bed and want to be sleeping.

You've probably got writer's block. You'll get over it. Well lightsaber and hex the thing. (Sorry, inside joke I couldn't help but make) You're not alone friend... Good luck. May the force be with you. :-P

Have fun at the symphony.

~*~ Rad