Monday, January 26, 2009

Answered Prayer.

I wrote the seeds of this in my Moleskine yesterday. It was cool, so I thought I'd share.

Today, God answered prayer. I prayed last night at 2am that, if he wanted me at Sunday morning prayer (at 6:30am, no less), he would wake me up with energy before my alarm went off. I went to bed not really wanting to get up in the morning, but trusting that if Jesus really wanted me there, he'd get me there. I went to bed with my alarm set for 6:25am, knowing full well that I might get up, stare at it in bewilderment, then shut it off and go back to sleep.

I woke up at 6:20am awake and ready to go. In fact, I made sure my roommates didn't ignore their alarms.

The time ended up being very, very good. The scripture lined up with other things God has been sort of showing me lately - things I'm still exploring.

At church, I worshiped well. I had, for the first time in a long time, something specific to praise and thank him for. It feels good to praise God for something that he has done - for a specific answer to prayer.

But how cool would it be to worship him based on who he is - for his attributes - rather than just for what he had done? It's something I'm familiar with these days, but it is so intellectual for me. How great would it be to worship him with the same emotion and intensity despite what visible actions he had taken recently - just for his grace, his omnipotence, his love?

2 comments:

Thia Lewis said...

Amen.... I have been learning what it is to just worship Him for who He is. Had a huge breakthrough in that this Sunday... and thank Him that He's "hidden His face" from me if that's what it takes for me to praise and trust Him no matter what. I won't stop pressing in and seeking. (*

Anonymous said...

"I have tried since...to make every pleasure into a channel of adoration. I don’t mean simply by giving thanks for it. One must of course give thanks, but I meant something different... Gratitude exclaims, very properly, 'How good of God to give me this.' Adoration says, 'What must be the quality of that Being whose far-off and momentary coruscations are like this!' One’s mind runs back up the sunbeam to the sun.... If this is Hedonism, it is also a somewhat arduous discipline. But it is worth some labour: for in so far as it succeeds, almost every day furnishes us with, so to speak, 'bearings' on the Bright Blur. It becomes brighter but less blurry."