Sunday, January 04, 2009

New Years.

I know I'm quite a bit late on the New Years' bandwagon, but I really wanted to do one of these posts (like everyone else in the world [that I read, at least]).

I'm still not finished processing through preparing for the year, but I wanted to chronicle what I've got (sort of like how Mr. Ransom did it; I'll do a follow up with some more specifics [mostly for myself and my records]) Here are some of my thoughts so far:

It's my senior year. That has so many ridiculous ramifications that it's... ridiculous. It is literally impossible to predict what my life will be like past June. Lord willing, I'll be in California doing a sweet internship. Or I could be in Grand Rapids, living with Buddy and Kyle for a bit doing... something. Or I could be in Albuquerque, living with someone and doing... something. Or I could be in Florida... You get the picture.

I have really gotten a lot of inspiration from the various blogs I've been reading and the movies I've been watching. God is really trying to tell me something. I think the credits song of Yes Man says it best: "It's time to man up." Of all my priorities and goals, it's time to actually start doing. Anything.

I want to establish my lifestyle this year. This has a lot to do with my reading on The Simple Dollar and The Art of Manliness, in addition to my convictions about how Jesus would have us live. There are so many dreams I have for the future, but they almost all involve how I live.

One of the things that I don't think I can commit to this year (but want to as soon as possible) is to spend one hour a day learning one thing for one year. (Again, I refer to the Simple Dollar link above.) There are so many skills and knowledge I want to have. For example:
  • Learn French well enough to be conversational. Enough to watch a movie, for instance.
  • Read music and play piano.
  • Perform basic car repair.
  • Draw locations and characters (for concept art).
  • Program in C++ or C#
  • Write. From blog-style to articles to screenplays to prose to...
  • Photography.
  • Cooking.
  • Physics. I love physics and wish I could learn more.
I think I'll end this rambling and unfocused post with a question: If you could spend one hour a day practicing one thing (knowledge or skill) for one year, what would it be?

4 comments:

Thia Lewis said...

Français... or guitar. (I was going to say piano, drawing, writing, or martial arts, but... I do enough). (*

Anonymous said...

i'm like you, in that there is so much i want to learn. to learn, for one hour, for one year, i'd really love to learn anything, but these come to mind:

+better communicator
+photography
+cooking
+another language (though this would be a tad painful)
+oragamii
+martial arts
+how to live for god and make the most of every day
+writing (i'd always love to get better and learn more)
+about animals
+edible plants, and outdoor survival
+anthropology
+holistic health
+journalism
+piano

basically, if i could get paid to be in school, i'd do it. i'd love to learn the world, but i only have so long.

-jenny

Melissa said...

I think I would say guitar, but I would have a hard time focusing one hour a day on that because I think it would frustrate me. I think focusing on any one thing an hour a day for a year would frustrate me, so I don't know.

Rad said...

Writing, for sure. It's become more of an excuse now, but it's usually 95% true: I don't have time to write between school, work, homework, sleep, etc. :(

~*~ Rad