Thursday, March 23, 2006

Rehearsal boredom.

I have the suspicion that I'm not going to get too far into this before I'm pulled away to rehearsal again...

I'm at Honk! rehearsal, not really doing anything right now, so I'm going to update. Yay. I'm working crew for Honk! and I kind of enjoy it, at least when I'm actually doing something. Right now, I think I'd rather be doing umm... other stuff...

Nana and Gramps came up today for Grandparents' day tomorrow. It should be fun. We hung out a little bit today, but I have rehearsal, so not too long. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to entertain them for the next few days, but I'm sure I'll think of something. There's one problem: I still haven't really started my Philosophy essay. I rather hope it won't be too difficult.

//Begin Geek
Nintendo's president, Saotoru Iwata, announced today at the Game Developers Conference that the Revolution (rumored to still be a code name for the project) will also have the Sega Genesis and the TurboGrafix as "virtual consoles" on the machine. That means that not only will you be able to download past Nintendo games onto your Revolution, but you'll also be able to get over 1000 titles from Nintendo's former competitors. While this is cool, I kind of agree with a guy that commented on Gamespot: there's only so much value in having nostalgic, classic games. At some point, new features need to be stressed.

On the other hand, Nintendo seems most interested in creating new gaming features. The PS3 and Xbox 360 added features, but they are multimedia, non-gaming features such as video downloading, connectiviy with MP3 players, etc... Nintendo, through their motion sensing controller, is trying to find new ways to create and play video games, not create home entertainment hubs.

As for me, I am torn between the two. As a consumer, I want the most bang for my buck. If I can have something that functions as a DVD player (or Blu-ray movie player, in the case of the PS3), stereo, TV recording device, and a game console, I'll buy it. On the other hand, I want something focused on games. It's not like the Revolution, with exclusively wireless controllers, is going to be clutter.

Nintendo is also trying to be noncompetitive with the other two big companies. They instead want to focus on expanding the game demographic. Their plan is to reach out to people who have never (and never thought they would) play games. My fear is that they will make the Revolution to have such mass appeal that mainstream games won't go near it. Instead of the "Nintendo is for kids" mantra, we will hear "Nintendo is for games that are closer to Tetris and Nintendogs and not for the sweet RPG/FPS/action/adventure games that I love." Someday I hope to make games for Nintendo, so I certainly do not want them to do poorly simply because of the console that they are on.
//End Geek

So, I think I've written enough for now, even if it was mostly Geek. Have a good night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He-he - I was watching you while you typed this and didn't even know it. While wearing an extremely ridiculous costume. Anyway...

I have never really played video games, but I think I'd be more interested in a role-playing type than a Tetris type. Hmm.

Still want to try Final Fantasy sometime. Probably not till Honk! is over. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

I never liked Tetris, and I've never heard of Nintendogs. *Shrug* We love the Geek in you. :)

I am sorry you were bored during Honk!.

~*~ Rad