Friday, May 18, 2007

Creativity

So I've been working on an entry for a week and a half now and it's still not done. I keep thinking, "Kemp, you need to update your blog." To which I answer myself, "But Kemp, you should finish your sub-creation rant before posting anything else." And I say, "Well, you're probably right." Then I promptly go and not work on said rant. But today, I say, "No more, self! You will update that blog! Stop procrastinating!" So here I am.

My creativity class ended today. I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand, the class is over. I have no more homework, no more journaling, no more reading creative books. On the other hand, I now have to process everything I learned and internalize it.

Yesterday, Perini had us begin to make plans as to how we would begin to implement all that we've learned in the past two weeks. It was actually one of the harder things I had to do in the course. I all of a sudden got really panicked. How could I even begin to change my life? There's too much to do: too many books to read, too much work to be done, and too many habits to change. Even as I worked on our final project, I found myself slipping into my old ways of thinking. How can I hold onto creative thinking over the summer? Combine all this with what I intended to do anyway, and how in the world am I supposed to rest?

When I start thinking this way, I forget one of the things about being a creative person: it's a lifestyle. It is not work. It's fun and exciting and stimulating and challenging. I have the habit of transforming anything I enjoy into a responsibility (including creativity, my relationship with God, video games, reading, leadership positions, theatre, academics...), but that's not a healthy, playful, or creative way to live. In fact, it's quite dangerous.

One of the things that I should probably write on notecards and stick everywhere is "You are a creative person." I forget too easily that many of the things that this class encourages I have done in the past. Before college, I learned anything I could and tried to apply it to game design (systems thinking and synthesis of separate ideas... two concepts we learned). I've done this stuff in the past, I can do it again.

I think I'll leave this on a positive note before I get more whiny. Sorry about writing a novel every time I update this thing... That's my bad.... Perhaps I just think a little too deeply.

Yeah. Right.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

no I think you just don't see the point in making posts like "Today I lounged around the house all day and made a sandwich" You actually apparently put thought behind your entries, and don't do it, just cause you're bored. Happy Trails!

Lindsey Renee said...

What creativity class did you take?
I understand what you mean by needing to be reminded that you are creative. I'm definitely the same way. You shouldn't worry about writing a book every time you blog. First off, they aren't that long. Secondly, is this more for you then for others? If so then who cares. If not, they should be able to read at least 500 words in one sitting and I don't think you exceeded that so your fine.
Lindsey Jacobs

ransomedhandmaiden said...

I second Michael - I'm glad you post thinks.

I think you should do the sticky note thing. Sometimes we forget the things about ourselves that are the most obvious to everyone else.

And no, everything does not have to be turned into a responsibility. Nice that you're figuring that out young - my dad's still working on learning that one. :-)

Anonymous said...

deep thinking is a good thing:)

Anonymous said...

remember: you are a creative person.. and creativity is FUN and not WORK. We adults lose that all too often... =) ... I'm glad you took this class.

Melissa said...

I agree that some things in life become a responsibility. I think it is because in our rapidly moving lives we often have to schedule these things in, therefore making them something we have to do. So, I suppose my advice would be, be spontaneous about things. If you feel a burst of creativity, be creative for a while. Schedule in free time, and do with it whatever you feel at the time needs to be done.

Oh, and I enjoy reading longer posts. I tend to write a lot as well (example: this comment).

Talmidim00 said...

tis better then not posting at all, deep profound thoughts are better...I third or fourth...or something

Anonymous said...

you sound like you need to find yourself a creativity accountability buddy - sometimes backup comes in handy.
remember, rest doesn't have to mean a two-week-long vacation: a lot of the time, little stuff actually does more good. try doing one nice thing for yourself a day - like take a walk or eat waffles or give yourself an hour to write or something. that helps.

gross...I sound like a walking self-help book.
oh well...toodleoo.