Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Told you.

I was in Millpond Park the other day waiting for my friend Devon to get out of work. It really is a nice place. It has one of those big wooden play structures for kids, two rivers that converge, lots of field space to run around in, and plenty of children to watch. I parked my car, got out, stood by the river a while, then crossed a bridge to a little peninsula created when the rivers come together. On this little outcrop, there were lots of little paths and I followed one, trying to stay as far away from people as I could.

Eventually, I hit a chainlink fence, where I decided to pee. It feels good to pee outside.

Anyway, I kept following a path around to where the rivers meet. I threw some sticks in the river and watched the ripples carefully. It's always bothered me that people say that even the smallest rock makes a ripple that eventually becomes a wave. Little make rocks make little ripples that eventually flatten out and make an almost imperceptible impact on the shore.

As I was heading back to my car, I for some reason noticed a small tree that had been cut down. It was very small, perhaps a half inch in diameter and it stuck straight out of the ground a foot or so off the path. The top was very flat and evenly cut except for one detail: there were leaves shooting up from just beneath the cut. They were small leaves, and the chance for them surviving is very small, I'm sure, but it did make me think.

It seemed to me to be proof of a loving God. I know it's a bit naive, perhaps, but I was touched by the fact that life was growing out of something I would have thought was dead. Kinda like us.
Really, we are quite dead, us humans. No one would expect us, under the Fall, to bear any kind of fruit. Miraculously, though, we do. God, in his grace, intervenes to make us not totally deranged and evil.

When I say this, the first thing most people (and by "people," I mean Christians) think of is Christ, which is good. Jesus, ultimately, is the definition of grace; a pure and perfect human who deserved heaven but took our Hell, a deity stripped of his power and humiliated by the ones he loved. But I do not speak of this.

I speak of the fruit that even non-Christians bear. Those who do not follow Christ are still quite capable of doing great good (sometimes, even more than "Christians"). **I'd stick in an example here, but I can't think of a good one of the top of my head. Feel free to leave some good ones...**
He does not let the Fall run rampant through human lives. We could be constantly self-seeking, constantly perverse, and constantly looking for ways to hurt others, but instead, the common grace that God gives us stops us from doing these things. He saves us from what could be our fate under the Fall. What a great and graceful God that we follow, that he would extend his grace even to those who do not call him Lord.

P.S. Clarification: I do not mean to say that non-believers are not in need of the grace offered them through the cross (What I've said could be interpreted that way, I suppose.). I only want to point out that God saves them from the total evil of the Fall despite their denial of redemption. And really, it is this common grace that becomes the damnation of many non-believers. So many are stopped from coming to Jesus because they are a "good person," but they don't realize that God has intervened to keep them that way. It's almost like a deposit: God first extends his common grace to us so that we may trust him in his extension of Redemptive Grace. Unfortunately, many of us humans take that common grace as proof that we do not need redemption. In many ways, this grace is as seemingly foolish of an act as God giving us free will or allowing Satan into the garden...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once had a friend who was the best example of Christian living that I've encountered yet. He listened to me with patience and offered advice when he thought it was wise. He taught me how to love, completely; not by telling me, but by showing me. He was always the first one to drop what he was doing to help one of his friends. He was quick to listen and slow to anger. Odd, though, that he wasn't a 'Christian'. He didn't go to church, he didn't pray, didn't read the Bible, believed there was a God but by ne means did he dedicate his life to following him. Yet, he was perhaps the biggest example to me, the one who has most influenced my walk with God. Sad? Maybe, but it's true. God can use 'non-christians' just as much as he can the people who follow him... it's a part of what him so terribly fantastic.

Seems like you truly enjoyed your jaunt. I'm glad. I'm glad you saw the little things... they are so often missed.
And I've always been jealous of how easy it is for you guys to pee outside. Not fair.
}|{

Jennifer said...

What gets me though is how often "Christians" take for granted the redemptive grace that they've received. They (not all...) forget what it means to live in a such as way as to show that they have received this grace. And that forgetfulness is what causes so many questions in my life.

Please answer me this though...do we, as people who have accepted redemptive grace, have to act on the grace we've received? Act as in a physical or mental action, not as in the act of acceptance.

sigh...

Anonymous said...

*Chuckles at CJ's last comment* Yes, it's not fair. XD

I love how you can get so much out of just looking at a simple plant. Amazing. And wonderfully touching. :)

Did you ever actually meet Devon...? :-P

~*~ Rad

Anonymous said...

First of all, we did not need to know you relieved yourself outside.

I want to say something other than that to this post, but I really don't have anything to add.

Melissa said...

my dad is an example of the non-Christan.

that's another conversation.

I am also jealous of males' ability to pee outside.

Anonymous said...

*continuing conversation via a comment* We females cannot be jealous that men pee outside, only how easy it is for them to do it. We can pee outside too... it's just MUCH less convienent... sorry for making potentially awkward conversation on your blog's comment space, Kemp.

Anonymous said...

*Laughs*

~*~ Rad

Anonymous said...

God gives us all grace, yes, but some people still choose to reject it and be totally deranged and evil. that's the part I don’t understand. the capacity of mankind to do evil continually astounds me--and scares me, too. And also makes me feel small and depressed and insignificant and deluded and naive.

oh well.

p.s. although this fascination with urination has made for some interesting conversation, I'd like to know if we're ever going to see that rant on sub-creation.