Friday, May 25, 2007

Dear Diary,

So I started work today. I was originally scheduled to work 6 - close in concession (my least favorite in the theater), but when I got there, my boss told me that instead, I'd be doing my also least favorite job in the theater: Crown Club.

For those who don't know (which I'm assuming is most), I work at a Regal Entertainment Group theater. We have this thing called the Regal Crown Club, where you get points for spending money at Regal theaters. It's quite free, you just have to sign up and then bring your card with you to the theater. Very easy.

Unfortunately, some employees have to "sell" these (not so very easy). That means randomly assaulting theater patrons and coercing them into signing their name and taking a card. So for 4 1/2 hours, I randomly solicited customers until they relented and took a small plastic card from me.

Personally, this whole pushing-Crown-Club-cards thing kind of goes against my whole "do unto others" policy. I hate it when you go to the mall and the cell phones guys enter 20 questions with you and you just want to walk away or punch them in the face but they keep talking and you don't want to switch plans and quite frankly it's a bit unreasonable for them to expect you to and...

Anyway, I don't like doing it, but it's my job, so I do it to the best of my ability. The best I've ever done (and this was when the program was new, so nobody had them) was 40 something. Since then, the record's been set at 109. She "had faith" that I could get 150. I told her she was crazy. I got somewhere around 60 today. Beat my best, but nowhere near the legendary 109 in one shift... The employee must've given out free money with each card...

So the moral of the story is that work wasn't too bad, we had a lot of local competition for audiences, and I broke my record for pushing pieces of plastic on unwitting customers. I guess that would be a good day.

Oh yeah, and I went running this morning. Ick.

Goodnight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You went running yesterday morning?! Mmm... I have a story for you about that...

Anyways... sorry about work and the little plastic cards. Your boss is smart though, you're the kind of person people don't like saying no to. and even if they want to say no and punch you in the face, they can't... they try to raise their arms to sock ya one, but instead, they fill out their personal address. must be some mind control you've got there, pal. A little power you forgot to tell your friends?

talk to you later.

p.s. I think Pirates needs to die.