Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Laundry

I just did my laundry. I needed to do it desperately. I used my last good pair of boxers today and you never want to go down to those last two that kinda fit funny...

Anyway, it got me thinking. Laundry is a very humanizing task. I feel very human when I'm folding and putting away my clothes.

Think about it: when was the last time you saw a fictional person doing laundry? Movie characters don't do laundry. Video game characters don't do laundry. Book characters don't do laundry. Only living, breathing, human beings wash their clothes.

Even more (and I know this might end up sounding bad), how often do you see men doing laundry? Hardly ever. When they do, it is not usually looked on as a normal part of life, but rather as a feminine chore. I mean, can you see Master Chief trying to wash that armor after a long day of slaughter countless thousands of aliens? Or Cloud Strife saying, "Hold on guys, we can't go kill Sephiroth and save the world yet. My pants are going to be in the dryer another 30 minutes."

There's just something inherently uncool about washing, drying, and folding clothes. It's a humbling task. It's something only a servant would do.

So I will continue to do my laundry, even though it takes time and money, because it reminds me that I am a man. I am not some sweet character in a play, novel, game, movie, TV show, or any other story telling medium. I am flesh and blood, fallible, fallen, and in need of grace.

Change me, God.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sermonizing from the laundry room, well you are an interesting one. I thought about it and well they do laundry on Friends, there a few movies that have a laundry scene. And there are plenty of books that talk about doing laundry I'm sure. I'm not terribly well versed in movies or books so I can't give specifics I'm just saying their out there. Intriguing site.

Anonymous said...

I'm now posting a comment on The Life and Times of Kemp ... and it's true. It's a very human task, that why i loathe it so much. it's taking my precious time to do something mindlessly dull. then i realize that my time isn't as precious as i thought it was... ok, mind is going nuts here... i'll move on...
oh, and kudos for doing laundry, by the way.

Anonymous said...

I like doing laundry... Heh.

Hahaha, "We have to wait for my pants." XD XD

You are a sweet character, just a REAL character. *Poke*

~*~ Rad