Thursday, October 18, 2007

An Internal Locus of Control

So I'm pretty much intimidated out of my mind right now.

I just looked through a few game design and development blogs. Almost every one of them has had a "How to break into the industry" subpage - since they get asked so often.

Examples (just for kicks):
Zen of Design
GameCareerGuide.com
Psychochild

Their advice is certainly informative, but disheartening. Let's take Zen of Design's list for example:
  • Entry positions are rare - Companies don't hire people straight out of school because there are always experienced people in the market.
  • Get in the door any way you can - answer phones, do Quality Assurance work, whatever. Suck it up and get in.
  • Build a portfolio - That's what college is for. Show potential employers some kind of finished product - whether NeverWinter Nights mods or simple flash games.
  • Prove you can finish - Ideas are cheap. Everyone in the industry has about 100 great ideas they can use any time. You must be able to execute.
  • Build networks - 'Nuff said.
  • Do anything to get a game industry line on your resume - Intern, do freelance work, or work for a startup
  • Accept that you'll be the low man on the totem pole - Be willing to learn. Don't be a brown-noser, but be humble.
  • Excel - Be good at what you do.
So that's that. It's quite terrifying, considering I don't have many opportunities to do this stuff. But, in order to shift to an internal locus of control for my life (thank you psychology), I shall list how I'm planning on overcoming these crazy things.
  • Hrm... I guess I can't do much about this except be good at the rest.
  • I'm emailing a CEO of a small company tomorrow. I'll be emailing other companies in the next week or so looking for internships.
  • I have two options here: wait for grad school to come around, or do something slightly out of the ordinary. I'm not much of an artist or a programmer and I don't have a team to work with (I believe that's been pointed out). What can I do? Story. How can I show them proof of interactive story concepts and execution? Dungeons and Dragons, baby.
  • Well, this is probably accomplished by actually doing any and all of the above.
  • Networking is always a challenge for me, but I'm seeing what I can do to go to the Game Developer's Conference in San Francisco in March. Also, I'm going to ask said CEO if he might be able to be a contact for me just to grab advice from every once in a while.
  • Again, internships.
  • Honestly, this is a personal and spiritual growth issue. I'd like to be confident and know I'm good at what I do, but at the same time, I must always remember that there are others that are better. Especially there.
  • Yeah... I guess I just need to do this...
So there's all that. You, dear Reader, have now borne witness to my mindset trying to change. I think I'm going to write a different post now. Bye bye.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

I have to wonder what God is doing right now in our lives. Intimidation seems to be His way of kicking us into gear, making us prove that we really want to follow our dreams, and showing us that we really know nothing.

May we both be ok with starting small and may both of our potential connections become alive...

Anonymous said...

kemp,

i am horrible with connections, but being an RA, i think i know a guy who has them in any field you ask about. i'll talk to him, i'm sure he'll be able to get you at least 3 internships. you don't have to take them, but i got some help if you want it. ;)

~jenny

p.s. i am double majoring in art...i'm going to go after photography or being an art school teacher for little kids. not safe...but you gotta go for what you love, right?

Anonymous said...

stewardship. faithful in the little things. time, talents (dreams), treasures.

It's cliché, but God honors it, I think.

Since the little things are hard, it's really no wonder (at least for me) that He doesn't give the big things... yet. We might be feeling something a little more intense than intimidation.

Anonymous said...

A simple comment can't really contain what I have to say about this.