Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I just want you to know

It feels good when the gaming community agrees with you. I was reading an article on Gamespot.

Anyway, it talked about industry analyst Mike Wallace's predictions for the coming year in the gaming industry. He predicted that the Xbox 360 would come out on top in the next-gen console war, that the Revolution would only sell 1 million units, and that the PSP would gain dominance over the handheld market. By 2007, he predicts that the total installed base for Xbox 360 would be 10 million units, the PS3 would be 7 million units, and the Revolution would have sold only 3 million units.

Personally, I think the Xbox 360 still doesn't have firm software support. If the trend from the current generation continues, most of the games for the 360 will also be available for the PS3, making it unnecessary to buy both the Xbox and the PS3.

One thing that I don't think Mr. Wallace is taking into account is the price of the console. The president of Sony has warned that the PS3 is going to be very expensive. The Xbox 360 is going for $502 on Ebay right now. Reggie Fils-Aime, the executive vice president of sales and marketing at Nintendo of America, has said that the total startup cost for a Nintendo Revolution will be around $300. In 2006, I think that the low cost and retrogaming possibilities of the Revolution will bring Nintendo back into the fold of mainstream gaming. If not, then they'll become pioneers for the "indie gaming" industry that I believe will one day come about.

I'm done now. Homework time is now.

5 comments:

Michael said...

How very interesting Kemp, I am sure all of us college kids who are loaded with money are going to go out and buy the revolution.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I had no background knowledge or experience on this, hence it made very little sense to me. And had little intrinsic interest. A good thing for me to remember when I teach kids to read one day.

If you asked me comprehension questions about it, I would probably get them all wrong.

But this much I understand - I'm glad you were right about something, it's always nice to be confirmed in your opinions and thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I am still not 100% comprehending what you are saying... but I did read it and I do get most of it. *Shakes head* I just play the games I like on the 64, cuz I like the controls. *Shrug*

Geez!! $500 for a GAME CONSOLE?? If they're wasting (pardon me) their money like that, they can send some to me!! XD

I like your long words Annie. *Pulls up m-w.com*

Do you know Roz Kemp? She posted on my Xanga and I got the idea she knew you. Glad to know its a reliable person.

~*~ Rad

Anonymous said...

yeah i stalked one one of your freinds down.. im sry.. i was SUPER BORED. what can i say i already went thorugh all my freinds and i was stuck.. dont think im tooo wierd!lol

Anonymous said...

Kemp, the plan worked. The AIM name and the conversation, classic. My, my the reaction was quite hilarious.