Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Thought (okay, more than one)

We know that the law is unspiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin. I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin lving in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do - this is what I keep doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it. (Does that mean I am not responsible for my own sin? Does it mean I can blame any sinful actions I take on the "sin living in me?")

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law (do i?); but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? (Romans 7:14 - 24)


If you didn't get it the first time, read it again. That's how I've felt lately. I'm sure you've all been there, too. The problem is I'm having difficulty reading the next verse: "Thanks be to God - through Jesus Christ our Lord!"

Pray for me.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?" (Rom 8:35) I haven't gotten far enough to get to those problems coming between God and I. I'm taken care of, yet I am am malcontent. I am supported, and yet I feel as though I have no foundation.

Paul wrote so powerfully. I don't understand how. The only explanation is that it's God. God made him do it. I just wish God would help me do something. Maybe I'm just not letting him.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I don't get what you're saying in the first paragraph... Its one of those think really deeply questions. So therefore I have no words of insight, but only words of encouragement. Christ died for you, and as long as you are repentent of your sins, God acts as if they never happend. Sure, the sin nature is still there (always will be), but as a born-again believer Christ's death covers you.

Besides, you're not perfect.

I will pray for you though. I can comprehend that. ^_~

Laters amigo.

~*~ Rad

Michael said...

What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have know what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet." But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law sin is dead.
Paul wrote that as well (7:7-8)
I don't know if this will have any profound effect, but God doesn't want us to fall on our faces, he gives us choices. Um look at the context, chapter 8 really big on the Holy Spirit. I don't know what else I could write on a blog besides that I will try and pray for you (I have a tendency to forget) Um, see you at church. Although by the time you read this church will have long been over.

Anonymous said...

May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul, and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. The One who calls you is faithful, and he will do it.

I Thessalonians 5:23-24