Wednesday, April 18, 2007

And now for something actually worth something

The first video game I ever played was Super Mario World on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System when I was six years old. It ruined me. Since then, I have dreamt of little more than designing video games. I would draw levels on the back of my notebooks in third grade. I would write stories for class projects that were directly based on video games in fifth grade. By eighth grade, I had worked up a semi-original story to tell through a video game.

At the same time that I was test driving the idea of being a video game designer, I was coming closer to the Lord. I grew up in a Christian family, was saved in kindergarten, but it was not until 7th grade that I began to take Jesus seriously and really begin to allow him to control my life. As the years went by and I matured in my faith, I began to consider what it would look like to combine my passion for interactive story telling and my passion for following Jesus and leading others to him. What if a Christian produced a video game of such high caliber as the Final Fantasy or Legend of Zelda series and told a part of the Truest Story?

We believe in a story. It is a story of love and of hate, of terrible war and beautiful peace. It is a story in which the hero humbled himself, allowing himself to be beaten and even killed for the love of his enemies, only to rise again, proving his power. And it is a story in which the hero ultimately asks for people to join in his story, fighting in his battles with his own power. What better basis for a video game story is there than that?

Many Christians have interpreted this as meaning that we should “video game-ify” the Bible, retelling the stories of Moses, David, or telling possible stories that unfold out of the mysteries of the book of Revelation. They create games in which the main character wears the armor of God and slings around “Smite” energy, causing enemies to drop to their knees and pray for salvation. Their attempts, while admirable and honoring to God, have been low budget, poorly presented, not marketed, and, frankly, quite unappealing. They sell in Christian bookstores only and the general public never sees them.

While Christian games have their place, I would rather work in an environment that pushes the limits of video games. I would like to be a part of a company that makes games that are not made only for Christians, but are made for the entire public. I want to make games that ask the players questions about life and purpose or show them a bit of truth. As a Christian, I do not believe it is imperative that I present a gospel message in every moment of the game. Rather, I would like to show truth through story, and story does not have to focus on Jesus, Christians, churches, or anything else expected. Rather, it can be told through talking animals, elves, and magical worlds.

From this framework, I have decided that I would like to work in a secular video game market, in order to do the most good, and, hopefully, further Christ’s kingdom. Being in a secular market positions me for three main goals. First, I want to act as a witness to the workers around me. Since high school, I have been passionate about spreading the gospel to those in my sphere of influence. This feeds into my second goal of being a voice against the wave of violence, dangerous escapism, and the waste of a potentially powerful medium. By spreading the gospel, I believe that the game industry can change from the bottom up. Designers will be less and less interested in creating these trashy games and be more interested in creating challenging stories and gameplay. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, there will be a larger audience to whom to tell the Truth. The more people buy my games (hopefully), the more people will be led to think about the Truest Story in which we all play a part.



P.S. This is an essay I wrote for my Introduction to Electronic Media class and I hope to send it in for the National Association of Religious Broadcasters scholarship award. Critique is always nice, if you have it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the phrase "Truest Story."

It's a good essay writing-wise - none of those sentences that don't quite make sense, that one trips over when one reads them.

"'Smite' energy" - that made me smile.

Anonymous said...

Critique at 2:40 AM? Maybe tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

maybe I'll take a more critical look at a later time, not 4:36 in the morning

Anonymous said...

Hey, guess what…I just found your blog. And I found matrix ping-pong. (Oh, the things you can accomplish while writing a worldview essay….)
I like your mind…as a wise-ish man once said, there’s some clean water amongst the sewage. This would be a prime example: “…story does not have to focus on Jesus, Christians, churches, or anything else expected. Rather, it can be told through talking animals, elves, and magical worlds.” Ah…it’s like rain and sunshine and stars all at the same time. (Dang…that was rather poetic-sounding….did I just write that new hotness?) I may not know “what I wanna do with my life,” but I do know that somehow I want to do THAT. *shivers* mmmnnnn…stories….

Essay-wise, you seem to be in good shape. I might play around a bit with the first 2 sentences of the last paragraph – they just sound a little college-y. (If you want me to define that, it might move beyond the realm of free advice. But I’d be willing to try.) You have some good stuff in there…like escapism…and smite energy…and Christian bookstores. Arrrrg.
Yeah. We should talk sometime. When I’m not being all wack and extroverted, I actually tend to enjoy thinking.

Anonymous said...

hey, it's 10:27... I'm thinking more clearly... but I'm still a little fuzzy... anyway.

I've heard you talk about this stuff before and I think you articulated it rather well. You made it clear and to the point. And you're right, it didn't need a third concrete idea.. thing.. place... person...

*ahem* I think you can do this and I appreciate your passion. Don't ever stop cultivating it... cultivate?... I just used the word cultivate... what was that?... umm.. CHASE! Don't ever stop chasing your dream. That's it.

Sleep.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! We need more people who think like you in the world...or in the church, more like.
Go for it. Run with it. Dream it. Pursue it with all the blessing and glory of your Creator:)
and yes, you know who I am, I would just rather keep you guessing:)

Anonymous said...

No grammatical critique here, just wanted to say that it sounds like you know this is your calling - so hang in there! This is how you can change the world, and I know you will. Just know that your friends have faith in you, even when you lose it in yourself. Can't wait to see the first game by the way : )