Sunday, April 01, 2007

How I Should Make Decisions

So I've had this theory for a few days about decision making and I'm going to share it.

I figure it this way: as humans, we have three main decision making faculties, right? We've got our heads (logic), our hearts (emotions), and our gut (instinct and intuition). My new way of making decisions (I think) is that these three decision making faculties have to agree. Or, if not totally agree, two have to agree and the third has to see where they're coming from.

Let's use a recent example as an illustration. But first, a confession:


It's finally time I tell you guys something. I've managed thus far to keep it pretty secret, only asking advice of a few select people and telling precious few others. Anyway...

I won't be returning to Cornerstone next year. Some of you know how I've been joking around like I'd transfer for a long time, but the joking has been motivated by some serious goings on in the background. Time for a story:

This past January, I applied to the University of Central Florida kind of on faith. I've thought about transferring in the past, but God gave me a real peace about coming back to Cornerstone this year. Then I decided to change my major last semester to Film in order to pursue video game design. I felt like being a film major at Cornerstone would be decent preparation for grad school, but I still felt like I was shortchanging my education. I would be staying at Cornerstone pretty much just because I have a Keen scholarship here.

I thought I'd apply to UCF to see what God could make happen. I was absolutely fine with staying at Cornerstone if that was God's will and I was also absolutely fine with leaving. So I applied. Long story short, I was accepted and the financial aid and transfer credit wheels started to turn.

I got all the detail-y stuff back about two and a half weeks ago. It turns out that the financial aid worked out to be a little cheaper here tuition-wise, but there's a lot less room and board (I could even stay with relatives). As far as my credits go, just about all of them transfered. Even IDS 100 and Scientific Inquiry, oddly enough.

So that's another part of why I've been so stressed for the past few weeks... I've been praying like crazy and asking advice and looking for options and seeing if other doors open and I think God is leading me to go to UCF and major in Digital Media. This is why I've been really hesitant to do any leadership positions or make any hard committments for living next year and why I've been kind of angsty and burnt out...

So to bring this back around (like I do on this blog so often...), the logic is satisfied by the better education and the working out of the details... The intuition is satisfied because this feels right. Following my dream seems better this way. And... the heart hurts, but it can see what needs to be done.

I love you guys. I'm going to miss you, but I feel like I have to go. I'll be back to visit and stuff, so I'm not dying or anything, but I do have to follow this.

Sorry this confession was online. If you guys have any questions or anything, feel free to find me and ask. Or just kill me. I'll understand that, too. (Mike's planning that for tonight anyway...)

See ya later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

__________________________________
__________________________________
__________________________________

Anonymous said...

now that i think i actually have some thoughts in my head.... scientific inquiry and IDS transferring? it's almost too good to be true. If this is an april fools joke, it's not really all that funny. And if it is true, April 1st was a bad bad time to say this.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it is, much as that would make me feel better...

You better answer your phone (once) Sunday nights. I'm still calling you three times.

If that's where God's nudging you, then go. But visit, or we will let Michael kill you. ^_~

:(

~*~ Rad

Anonymous said...

PS: Oh, and you will update this at least once a week and if something major happens. Even if it's just "Hi guys, yep, I'm still alive life is good/slow/annoying as usual, etc. Or I will come down there and be the one to kill you.

^_~

~*~ Rad