Monday, April 09, 2007

I am a C... I am a C-H...

So I had a thought today. (Just one. Don't worry.)

I was reading my friend Christian's buddy info and one of his statments is: I'm a Christian - it's more than my name. (Or something to that effect.)

Anyway, it kinda got me thinking. Anywhere else but a Christian college and that would be a big deal. Him being a Christian would be a much bigger part of his social identity. But here, at a Christian college, where it is assumed that everyone is a Christian (or at least buys into the Christian metanarrative somewhat), Christian saying that he is a Christian has little value.

What about that? Is this a good thing? Is it good that at a Christian college our social identity is built more around our interests, friend, majors, and extra curriculars than our adoption into the family of God? Perhaps it allows us the opportunity to really find out who we are in Christ, rather than just saying that we are in Christ and leaving it at that.

I can't help but think that perhaps our loyalties are a little reversed here, though. At a public university, I think I would first be known by others for being a Christian, and then as an actor/Sherpa/video game design hopeful. Here, I am known as a Sherpa/actor/video game design hopeful more than I am as a Christian.

In the original example of my friend Christian, I think of him first as a musician and film enthusiast before it really sinks in that we share beliefs in the risen son of God who came to take our sins away from us. To me, this kinda sounds screwed up...

Anyway, what are your thoughts? Am I alone in thinking this (that'd be fine... I'm kind of a weird thinker sometimes...)?

And... responsego!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are not strange thoughts. Others have thought of this too. You are not alone. I think that in many cases, you are correct in stating that our loyalties are reversed and we should be known as Christians first, then as actors, musicians, authors, and stmp collectors... but honestly, there are few real Christians on this campus, I'm certain that for most undergrads, they ARE actors, musicians, authors, and stamp collectors before they are Christians, therefore their loyalties are pretty much where their heart is.
I also think it's a screwed up 'worldview' (there it is.. had to use it at least once, didn't I?) on our part; 'our' being the 'Christian community' (bada bing, another one). I think it has to do with, as you so pointedly stated, how WE view OTHERS. I think we'd have to try very very hard to get people to see us as people sharing a faith first, then people sharing interests second.
I'm not sure what else I want to say. It's before the time my brain is usually working, so ... written above are the scattered thoughts of an early morning wanderer.

me }|{

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, this has run across my mind too. And I always see you as a Godly person, then the rest follows.

We live in a sinful world... I guess what do you expect?

It's not "cool" to be thought of as a Christian first, then all the other stuff. It's a trend that must be broken.

~*~ Rad

Talmidim00 said...

Well said me thinks. But you know how I feel about that and I'm just glad that your pursueing what you want to pursue, with the Godly perspective in mind....any doubts that I might happen to have (if it were up to me and it's not) all have to do with the fact that I think your a God aspring Christian so ministry is good...haha...but ministry is what we do every day and I know better then anyone not to mistake being a passionate Christian and a call to fulltime ministry