Saturday, November 12, 2011

Gamers as Artists.

Read this.  Right now:

http://kotaku.com/5857873/games-are-art-only-when-youre-playing-them

A couple of brief observations tonight:
  1. A quote from the article: "...is a symphony meant to be played or listened to?"  
  2. I notice that the author of this article seems to be a believer.  Well, he's working on a Masters in Systematic Theology, so that's something.  This is one of the more original posts I've seen on Kotaku in a while and a believer wrote it.
  3. His last thought is wondering how gamers would respond to a call to artistry.  How can gamers be artists?  And guess what?  All the comments have nothing to do with the article.  They're all about trolling.  That's telling.
 As you play games, how can you consider yourself a co-creator in the art of the game?  Does it require research?  Playing along with the story instead of seeking to break the game and stretch the rules (a la last night's post)?  What do you think?

1 comment:

Team Infestation said...

Since Skyrim just launched and that is probably the easiest game to relate to the topic of story crafting, I'll briefly comment on that. In Skyrim, as well as the other two Elder Scrolls games I have played, the entire premise of the game is defined for you early on but they give you absolute freedom to write your own story and experience their world as you see fit. It is left almost entirely up to the player to decide what they want to do first, where their character will go, who they will fight for, are they good or evil? I think games like these not only allow you to be part of the artistic process, but expect you to be. You could talk to other players of the same game and they would probably report an entirely different story than the one you created, which is a pretty cool concept. Just my two cents.

P.S I also like breaking the games I play to a certain degree. I never remove the rules I just find ways to bend them. To continue beating the figurative Skyrim horse, I do things like pick master level locks with the equivalent of a novice skill level, or fight a boss that is way above my level by finding it's range and kiting it in and out of a door, chipping away at it's health. Outside of the rules? Not quite, but it's also not the assumed norm.