Monday, November 21, 2011

Maslow and Minecraft.

Vicodin is still running through my system, so forgive me if this is less interesting than normal. 

Minecraft 1.0 came out this weekend.  I guess that’s a pretty big deal.  I’ve been playing it off and on for a few months now.  I bought it with the big Adventure update a few versions back, anxious to find a town.  There, I would build a castle and I, as the benevolent king, would protect the town from the nasties that would seek to destroy it in the darkness of night. 

My first few in-game days were not so hot.  I couldn’t find coal for about five in-game days, so I was stuck digging in the dark.  When I finally got my feet under me and found a cavern to base my explorations out of, I ended up having to start from scratch when I died by lava a few times.  (I finally figured out to leave a couple of basic necessities in my home base…)  After that, I couldn’t seem to find any iron deposits for the life of me.  It seemed like most of my shafts ended up finding either a) redstone or b) absolutely nothing.  It was mildly frustrating. 

And yet, I’ve been able to eek out a living on this strange world.  In my early explorations, it seemed as though I was on an island in the middle of a vast ocean.  I told myself that couldn’t be.  Maybe I just hadn’t found the right corner that connected me to another big hunk of land.  Surely, there was a town just over that ridge where I could set up a more permanent base.  Eventually, I discovered that you can build maps, and so my explorations began in earnest.  Guess what?  I was on an island in the middle of a vast ocean.  Only the furthest edges of my map bore anything other than blue. 

Since that terrible discovery, I’ve been trying to figure out what to do.  My whole point in playing this game was to find a town.  What now?  I guess I should go find one, right?

It’s more difficult than it sounds, though.  The nearest continent is about a game-day away – and that’s with a shortcut created by some powered minecarts.  It takes an enormous amount of resources for me to get off my island, let alone set up shop at a new location. 

My whole situation has reminded me of Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.  Almost the entire game so far, I’ve been stuck on the physiological and safety needs.  I barely have enough food to keep my health up.  If I’m not careful, nighttime is still a very scary time for me.  My little hovel has been nearly blown to smithereens by creepers four of five times now.  How can I expect to be able to explore and create if I’m still trying to survive? 

Hopefully someday I’ll find that rich source of iron that will allow me to experiment with minecart tricks.  Maybe I’ll find a huge trove of diamond or a magical, flying pony or something.  But until then, I’ll just keep working, trying to find that village out there.

No comments: