Friday, November 04, 2011

Marriage is broken. How do we fix it?

We had a very interesting small group meeting tonight.  I'm very tired and have to get up in five hours, so I'll sum it up by this: Marriage is broken.  What does it take to fix it?

Clearly, marriage in America has taken a hit in the past four or five decades.  With divorce rates near 50%, many people in my generation have begun to wonder if it's worth it.  For some reason, marriages have just been failing.

Why is that?  We can blame all kinds of things.  A rebellious culture before us that made the formerly taboo divorce okay.  Media that inundates us with messages that certainly don't strengthen marriage.  An entitlement attitude among the 20 and 30 somethings that demands a me-focused reality.  It could be lots of things.

But how do we fix it?  How can I be part of the solution to marriage?

So, really, I would love to hear some responses to this short post.  If you're married, how can other people help you have a good, strong, close, fulfilling marriage?  Seriously.  Ideas.  Go.

2 comments:

Danielle Kruczkowski said...

A strong marriage has a strong foundation. If both parties work to keep the marriage together because of the strong foundation then they will have a long marriage. This generation is an instant gratification generation. They may at the moment feel as if they want to marry after a few months of dating or they may if they get a girl pregnent. A marrige without a strong foundation will end in divorce.

Anonymous said...

Maybe people seem to forget that a relationship isn't just "Oh, I've finally met Prince Charming, and now we're going to live happily ever after!"

It doesn't work like that, Disney. Ever.

A married couple needs to remember that any relationship (especially a romantic one) is going to take effort. Sure that doesn't sound ideal, but it's life. And part of life is trouble. But the thing that makes trouble bearable is going through it with someone who truly cares about you, even in an argument.

As for changing America's view on the matter, I'm not sure what sort of action can be taken there other than being a good example (but then, I'm not married so I suppose I have no right to make suggestions here). A lot of our influence comes from the media, so I suppose unless you're a strong voice in the media, then not much is going to come from you.